i’m this close to starting a “lists” category on my blog. for this list, or “new boy resolutions”, or in your wildest jesslyn dreams. this list came to thirty. i may need to lower my standards.
1. he’ll adore me and i’ll adore him, but sometimes we’ll probably have sex with other people.
2. he’ll have a car.
3. he’ll have a dope job. not to be confused with a job selling dope. not that i’ll care what he’ll do for a living. anyway.
4. he’ll have a loft condo.
5. he’ll only ask me over on weeknights.
6. he’ll be so into sports he won’t even know i’m there.
7. he’ll only watch movies that i want to watch, when i’m around.
8. he’ll force-feed me fruits & vegetables. especially when i complain about it.
9. he’ll call me for girlfriend stuff, but also for sex. except he’ll text me because i don’t like phone calls.
10. he’ll still do all the non-boyfriend stuff in bed.
11. he’ll drive me to work in the morning and stop at starbucks on the way.
12. he’ll wear ties & smoke cigarettes.
13. he’ll never take me shopping, ever, ever.
14. he’ll wine & dine me, but only at home.
15. he’ll listen to all my girl whining & we’ll both pretend he’s really listening.
16. he’ll be tall, but only to me.
17. he’ll like my pet fish and not mind that i have mild fits of insanity because he’ll get that it’s not his problem.
18. he’ll be quiet.
19. he’ll ignore my texts.
20. he’ll eventually not ignore me, but there will be the unspoken promise that he will again.
21. he’ll leave me alone when i want to be left alone.
22. he’ll call someone else if i can’t cater to him tonight.
23. he’ll have the most comfortable clean blankets that will always smell like laundry. except he won’t, because he’ll be kind of gross.
24. he’ll have a sweet collection of badass shoes.
25. he’ll be totally badass. totally.
26. he’ll get drunk in bed with me and listen to music.
27. he’ll only see me in black lingerie & we’ll pretend it’s the only underwear i own.
28. he’ll be apolitical or at least not care.
29. he’ll have fantastic. fucking. hair.
30. he’ll be completely in control & so will i.
it’ll be fucking awesome.
i’m pretty sure it’s called true love.
reasons i’m not giving up.
1. i got rid of the hat.
2. i have a date this week.
3. i have only a few friends, and i treat most of them like shit, but they are still my friends. they are always there when it’s really needed.
4. i’m working.
5. it’s fall!
6. i’m going to stop drinking (as much).
7. i have the best pros & cons list ever.
8. the terrible day i was dreading finally came and it wasn’t so bad after all.
9. i love my room & bed.
10. at least i have gunther.
things i would have said, if i were better at saying:
1. i don’t know how i’ll ever afford it.
2. four months ago the guy at the quickie almost didn’t sell me cigarettes and i’m still just as lazy as i am impatient, and i don’t have an age of majority card.
3. i’m scared of everything except you (simple).
4. i brought the drawer from my old bed out of the closet and put it in the window, to appear in backgrounds of blurred photos. now it’s behind the fish tank and still funhouse mirrored.
5. i miss your mouth, or just the way it never parted open.
6. the traffic is fantastic, it sounds dry & a little unhealthy.
7. nothing could have felt better than loneliness in that room, here it’s an ounce or so too heavy.
8. i feel childish & glad.
9. there is no way i’d ever really bother you with all these irrelevant, boring, boring thoughts.
10. beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!
1. winter is going to be over in a couple of months
3. aerospace engineering
4. rain, wet cement, last spring with you
5. i’m hungry
6. the night sky never looks black anymore
7. his skin feels good, i feel like we fit, i feel like he has a part of me i lost
8. history paper
9. four flights of stairs (plus four more) to class… only one to the bar
10. i’m still hungry
11. i never make lists
12. i drink too much caffeine
1. restless insomnia
3. it must be exactly the same month, or this wouldn’t be happening
4. the box of my childhood keepsakes in the spare room: a baseball, a drum stick, a puppet
5. i still drink too much caffeine
6. we broke up (less than a month later)
8. my dad hasn’t returned my call but i don’t think he has a job he needs to be at
9. ohhh chain smoking
10. the old habit of watching movies that make me cry while i overlook the street, a nepean habit, a hammerbar habit, lonesome, nostalgic, uncanny
11. i have to go to school